What you need
1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
185g butter, chopped
Pinch saffron, crumbled
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups flour, sifted
7g sachet dried yeast (2¼ -2½ teaspoons)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup lukewarm water
180g CADBURY Baking Dark Chocolate, chopped
1 egg, extra, lightly beaten
We've added Cadbury Baking chocolate to this traditional Russian Easter bread. Be sure to try this Easter recipe from Cadbury Kitchen.
1. HEAT the milk, sugar, butter, saffron and salt in a saucepan for 2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved and butter melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. COMBINE the flour and yeast in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the milk mixture, eggs and enough lukewarm water to make a dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. COMBINE the almonds and butter in a food processor and process to form a paste. Add the chocolate and pulse to combine.
4. DIVIDE the dough in half; and set one half aside. With the first half of the dough: remove 1/3 for the top, cut into 3 and make long narrow ropes approx. 25cm long, then form into a plait. With the remaining 2/3 of the dough roll out on a lightly floured surface to make an 18 x 28cm rectangle then spread with half of the chocolate mixture. Roll up from the long side and place into a greased 20cm ceramic soufflé dish. Form the plait into a circle and join the ends together then place on the top of the kulich. Set aside to rise for 11/2 hours. Repeat with remaining ½ of the dough and chocolate mixture to form 2 Chocolate Kulich.
5. BRUSH with extra beaten egg and bake in a moderate oven 180°C for 50-60 minutes or until cooked when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing. Store in an airtight container.