What you need
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
20g butter, melted
1/3 cup caster sugar
7g sachet dried yeast
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
½ cup sultanas
¼ cup flour, extra, for kneading and rolling
¾ cup CADBURY Baking Milk Chocolate Chips
1 egg, extra, beaten, for glazing
These are a rich twist on a Hot Cross Bun, and best eaten the day they are made.
1. COMBINE the milk, vanilla, butter, sugar and yeast and set aside in a warm place for 10-15 minutes or until foamy on top.
2. ADD the eggs and then the flour and mix until dough almost comes together. Add sultanas then use clean hands to finish mixing to form soft dough.
3. TURN out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm and draft free place for 1-1½ hours or until doubled in size.
4. KNOCK back the dough to its original size. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll out into a 30cm x 20 cm rectangle. Sprinkle with chocolate and then roll up from long side. Cut into 6 even pieces, place in well-greased 1/3 cup muffin pans and set aside in a warm, draft free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 15 minutes. Remove briefly from oven to brush with extra egg. Return to oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until cooked when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
TIP: This is a sticky dough when first made, use a little extra flour if required, when kneading and rolling.