Holiday Pay Remediation

Mondelez New Zealand has recently completed a review of payments made to past and present employees under the Holidays Act 2003. Through this review, we have determined that some of our team members received incorrect annual leave payments. This issue has arisen as we and a number of New Zealand businesses and government agencies have interpreted this complex legislation differently, and like them, we are working to ensure those impacted receive the money they’re owed.

Our review process has looked at the payments made and identified the amount owed to impacted past and present team members. We’re now making every effort to contact these people to facilitate payment.

If you are a former employee and believe you may have been impacted, please email or call 0800 223 2879. A member of our team will then be in touch to start the process.


Questions & answers


What has caused this problem?

Due to different interpretations of the Holidays Act, a number of New Zealand businesses and government bodies have incorrectly calculated entitlements under the Holidays Act 2003. While we are reaching out to past and present team members who were underpaid, we are not asking those who have been overpaid to return any funds.

Am I impacted?

Those impacted are past and present team members employed with Mondelez between November 2010 and October 2017. The system configuration was corrected in November 2017.

Impacted team members are being contacted via post and email to outline how they can claim the amount they’re owed.

Not all team members employed by Mondelez during this period are impacted, with some receiving the correct amounts and others being paid more than required under the Holidays Act. We are not asking those who have been overpaid to return these additional funds.

We’ve worked extensively to identify former employees who have been impacted, and we’re using the last known address – and in some cases, email address – to contact them. If you have any questions about the process and whether you’re potentially impacted, please email or call 0800 223 2879. A member of our team will then be in touch.

Can I see the calculation you used to determine the amount I’m owed?

The calculations required to determine the amount you’re owed are long and complex. We’ve worked with the Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment (MBIE) to ensure the calculation used is correct.

While we’re not providing the detailed calculations as a matter of course, we can provide them to you upon request.

What do you need from me to make the payment?

Current members of the team don’t need to provide us with any additional information to facilitate their payment.

Former employees are required to complete a claim form, and provide us with identification and supporting documentation to enable us to facilitate the payment.

If you haven’t received a letter from us, please email: or write to: Payroll Team, Mondelez, PO Box 19108, Auckland 1746.

I’m a former employee, but have changed address and haven’t received a letter or email from you. What do I need to do to ensure I’ve been considered as part of the review process?

Please send an email or letter with your name, current postal and email address to or write to: Payroll Team, Mondelez, PO Box 19108, Auckland 1746. We’ll then contact you to ensure we’ve considered you in the review process.

I’m seeking payment on behalf of a former employee that has passed away/ a former employee for whom I have power of attorney. How do I ensure they’re being considered as part of the review, and that correspondence is made with me to keep me informed?

If you represent a former employee that you believe may have been impacted, please email us at with your name, the name of the employee (for whom you hold power of attorney or act on behalf of their estate), and your phone number.

We’ll then contact you regarding the process, which will include you providing confirmation that you’re legally authorised to act on behalf of the former employee.

How does this payment impact my tax obligations?

Current team members will have tax withheld at the rate appropriate to their conditions for the current financial year.

Former employees will have PAYE deducted in accordance with the tax code in their Tax Code Declaration Form (IR330).

To understand if the payment will impact payments such as child support of other benefits, please speak to the relevant agencies that administer these services.

Will you make Kiwisaver contributions as part of the payment?

For current team members KiwiSaver contributions will be made as part of the remediation payment based on the contribution arrangement you have in place.

Former employees will need to provide their Kiwisaver details including the percentage contribution. This will attract a company contribution equivalent to the contractual entitlement at the time of employment.

To find out more, please email

0 events in your personalised itinerary